JONESBORO (AStateRedWolves.com) - The Arkansas State baseball teams returns home for midweek contest
against in-state opponent Central Arkansas Wednesday, April 9 at
Tomlinson Stadium. First-pitch is set for 6:30 p.m.
is coming off a weekend in which it dropped two out of three games on
the road to Western Kentucky but maintained its hold on second place in
the Sun Belt Conference standings.
will be the first meeting between the Red Wolves and Bears since the
2007 season. The teams were scheduled to play in Jonesboro in 2013, but
the game was cancelled due to severe. True freshman Bryan Ayers will get the start for A-State on the mound.
The games can be heard on 95.3FM The Ticket/970AM KNEA and in the StateZone at AStateRedWolves.com.
A-STATE/UCA SERIES HISTORY
• The will be the 22nd meeting all-time between A-State and Central Arkansas.
• A-State and UCA split the last seasons series in 2007 with each team winning a home game.
• The teams were scheduled to play a game in Jonesboro, but severe weather caused the game to be cancelled.
• The series began in 1951 with A-State defeating the Bears 15-1.
• The team's met a Southwest Regional Postseason Tournament in 1962 with the Bears defeating the Red Wolves 5-3.
• Since being inserted into the starting lineup on March 29th against Texas State, freshman Eric Wilcoxson has had seven hits, four of which have gone for extra bases.
• He has hit a home run and three doubles during the span.
TWO OUT RBIs
• A-State has had 61 RBIs come with two outs in an inning so far this far.
• Matt Burgess, the team-leader in RBIs with 34, has driven in 14 runs with outs this season.
• Zach Maggio tied career-highs in hits and runs scored in A-State's 7-5 victory over Western Kentucky on April 6.
• Maggio was a perfect 4-for-4 from the plate and reached base all five times he came up to bat in the game.
• He also scored four times during, tying a career high in that category.
THE RBI MACHINE
• Sophomore first baseman Matt Burgess tied a career-high with four RBIs in A-State's 7-5 victory over WKU on April 6.
Burgess drove in three of his runs without the benefit of a hit. Two of
his came on sacrifice fly outs and another came via and RBI groundout.
JONES EYES GAMES PLAYED RECORD
• Senior Dustin Jones is approaching the A-State record for most games played in a career.
• He has played in 201 games in his Red Wolves career.
• The record is 227 games by Chris Floyd from 1992-95.
• Jones also ranks 11th in the nation among active in players in career games played.
472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401