JONESBORO (AStateRedWolves.com) - The Arkansas State baseball team will take to the road for the second straight weekend for a Sun Belt Conference series at South Alabama April 11-13. The Red Wolves are coming off a 3-0 victory over Central Arkansas during the midweek but have dropped three out of their last five games.
A-State is looking to maintain is hold on second place in the league standings despite dropping two out of three games at Western Kentucky in its last series, its first conference series loss of the year.
A-State will start sophomore RHP David Owen on Friday night, LHP Chandler Hawkins Saturday and RHP Bradley Wallace Sunday. Wallace has allowed just one run in his last 14 innings.
The games can be heard on 95.3FM The Ticket/970AM KNEA and in the StateZone at AStateRedWolves.com.
A-STATE/USA SERIES HISTORY
• This will be the 77th, 78th and 79th meetings all-time between A-State and USA.
• The Jaguars lead the all-time series 58-22.
• A-State swept South Alabama in Jonesboro during the 2012 season. It was the first time that A-State had ever swept USA in a three-game series.
• The series dates back to the 1993 season when the teams became Sun Belt Conference foes.
• Keith Van Horn threw 1-hitter against South Alabama in 1993. It was just one of six 1-hitters in A-State history.
WHO NEEDS A HOME RUN?
• A-State (8) and South Alabama (3) have hit a combined 11 home runs on the year, the two lowest totals in the Sun Belt.
• Despite the lack of power, A-State ranks third in the league in runs scored at 198, while South Alabama has struggled scoring the fewest runs on the year at 104.
AYERS FINDING GROOVE
• True freshman Bryan Ayers turned in the best start of his career Wednesday, April 9 against UCA.
• The Vilonia, Ark., native tossed six innings of shutout baseball and struck out a career-high eight to earn the first win of his career.
• Since being inserted into the starting lineup on March 29th against Texas State, freshman Eric Wilcoxson has had nine hits, five of which have gone for extra bases.
• He has hit a home run and three doubles during the span.
TWO OUT RBIs
• A-State has had 62 RBIs come with two outs in an inning so far this far.
• Matt Burgess, the team-leader in RBIs with 35, has driven in 14 runs with outs this season.
• Zach Maggio tied career-highs in hits and runs scored in A-State's 7-5 victory over Western Kentucky on April 6.
• Maggio was a perfect 4-for-4 from the plate and reached base all five times he came up to bat in the game.
• He also scored four times during, tying a career high in that category.
THE RBI MACHINE
• Sophomore first baseman Matt Burgess tied a career-high with four RBIs in A-State's 7-5 victory over WKU on April 6.
• Burgess drove in three of his runs without the benefit of a hit. Two of his came on sacrifice fly outs and another came via and RBI groundout.
JONES EYES GAMES PLAYED RECORD
• Senior Dustin Jones is approaching the A-State record for most games played in a career.
• He has played in 202 games in his Red Wolves career.
• The record is 227 games by Chris Floyd from 1992-95.