NORTH LITTLE ROCK (AHSAA.org) - Ten high school seniors have been selected to receive a $1,000 college scholarship from the Arkansas Activities Association's Scholar-Athlete Program sponsored by State Farm®.
In the girls' division the winners are: Simone Elmae Kelley White, Hot Springs (volleyball), Marisa Leigh Blaschke, Scranton (basketball), Timmery Michelle Adams, Acorn (track), Jordan Bae Maynard, Brookland (softball) and Mary Kathryn Jones, Monticello (cheerleading).
In the boys' division the winners are: Kile Samuel Pletcher, Magnolia (football), William Blakley Bowlin, Benton (basketball), Brandon Lee Lercher, Beebe (track), Tristian Alex Vaughn, Osceola (baseball) and Robert Allen Welch, Parkers Chapel (tennis).
This is the 20th year for the AAA Scholar-Athlete Program.
Each student-athlete had to meet scholastic requirements of a 7-semester minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher, and each student-athlete had to score at least 21 on the ACT or at least 900 on the SAT.
The other requirements for the Scholar-Athlete Scholarship were:
- A senior athlete registered with the AAA.
- All- student-athletes had to meet NCAA Scholarship rules.
- Each student-athlete had to display good citizenship in their school and in the community.
- Each student-athlete had to display desirable leadership traits.
- Each student-athlete had to be active in other school activities.