Update: Memorial fund established for drowning victim

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) – A memorial fund has been created for an 11-year-old girl who died after she became trapped beneath a pipe in a water-filled ditch for 20 minutes.

Kyria Seymour of Jonesboro died Saturday, April 19, at LeBonheur Children's Hospital in Memphis, TN.

A celebration of her life will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday, April 24, in the Bay High School Gym. Burial will follow at Oakridge Cemetery near Bono, according to her obituary.

Visitation will be held from 6 until 8 p.m. Wednesday at Gregg-Langford Bookout Funeral Home, 300 W. Matthews Ave. in Jonesboro.

A memorial fund has been established at Centennial Bank. Monetary donations can be made at any branch through Region 8.

Seymour was critically injured Wednesday, April 16, when she became trapped beneath a pipe near Kathleen Street, according to the initial police report.

When Officer Lane Holmes arrived at the scene he saw PFC Jason Chester and a member of the Jonesboro Fire Department's Station 3 carrying the body of a young girl out of the ditch.

According to his report, Holmes said the two men placed the child into the back of JFD Battalion 1's vehicle and drove her to a waiting ambulance.

Chester and the JFD officer continued to perform CPR.

Holmes then began asking bystanders what had happened.

The child's father said his daughter and a group of friends had been playing on and around the pipes, "possibly trying to roll them around," the report stated.

The father said one of the pipes dislodged from its place near the ditch bank and rolled on top of the 10-year-old girl, pinning her underwater in the ditch.

Sgt. Doug Formon, public information officer for the Jonesboro Police Department, said the girl was underwater for about 20 minutes.

Together the father and a neighbor, 31-year-old Kevin Horn, managed to remove the child from beneath the pipe.

The father said it was "only a minute or more" before JFD Station 3 and Officer Chester arrived and started CPR.

The girl was taken to NEA Baptist Memorial Hospital where, according to Officer Joshua Thompson's report, the girl's "heart started beating again."

She was then flown to LeBonheur Children's Hospital in critical condition.

Copyright 2014 KAIT. All rights reserved.