JONESBORO (AStateRedWolves.com) - The Arkansas State baseball team returns to Jonesboro for a home
weekend baseball series for the first time in two weeks when it welcomes
Sun Belt Conference foe Louisiana-Monroe to Tomlinson Stadium April
recently concluded a four game road swing in which it went 3-1,
including a series victory over South Alabama and midweek road victory
at Memphis. A-State is in second place in the SBC league standings by a
full two games and is looking to gain ground on first place
This weekend's pitching rotation will feature a change as Bryan Ayers is scheduled to start on Saturday after a strong outing against UCA in his last start.
The games can be heard on 95.3FM The Ticket/970AM KNEA and in the StateZone.
A-STATE/ULM SERIES HISTORY
• The will be the 55th, 56th and 57th meetings all-time between the Red Wolves and Warhawks.
• A-State leads the all-time series 28-26.
• The Red Wolves took two out of three games from the Warhawks in Monroe last season.
• The series dates back to the 1973 season when the school was known as Northeast Louisiana.
• Austin Baker tied the school record for most walks in a single game against ULM last season with 4.
• Doug Walters threw a 1-hitter against ULM (then Northest Louisiana) in 1974.
THE TIGER SLAYER
• Tyler Zuber has had two of his best performances against Memphis this season.
• The freshman has combined to throw 10 innings of shutout baseball in two games against the Tigers.
• Those outings include a combined four hits (2 each game), nine strikeouts and no runs.
He earned the first win of his collegiate career April 15 after tossing
five innings and striking out a career-high six in the game.
• Dustin Jones ranks 14th among active players with 33 career sacrifice bunts in his career.
• Michael Faulkner holds the A-State career record for sac bunts with 37.
IT'S ALL ABOUT QUALITY
• A-State senior pitcher Bradley Wallace has tossed three straight quality starts dating back to March 30.
Wallace tossed back to back seven inning outings March 30 and April 6
against Texas State and Western Kentucky and then tossed six innings at
South Alabama April 13.
• In his last three starts, Wallace has given up just three runs, only two of which have been earned.
• Wallace also struck out a season-high seven against the Jaguars on April 13.
IT'S A SQUEEZE!
• A-State executed a squeeze play in the fifth inning of its game at South Alabama April 12 when Dustin Jones squeezed home a run.
• Ironically, the Jaguars also executed a squeeze bunt play later in the game.
A FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING
Arkansas State capped off an impressive weekend in the city of Mobile
by winning its first ever series against South Alabama in the state of
• It was just the fifth series win for the Red Wolves out of the 25 series that the two teams have been played.
GAINES SHINES IN EXTRA INNINGS
• Tanner Gaines tossed 6.1 innings of scoreless baseball in A-State's 7-6 victory in extra-innings April 12 at South Alabama.
Gaines entered the game with two outs in the seventh inning and
proceeded to hold the Jaguars to just two hits and no ones to earn the
• A-State closer Morgan Croft recorded three saves April 9-13 including a 5-pitch save against Central Arkansas on April 9.
• He finished out the week with back-to-back saves against USA April 12-13.
AYERS FINDING GROOVE
• True freshman Bryan Ayers turned in the best start of his career Wednesday, April 9 against UCA.
The Vilonia, Ark., native tossed six innings of shutout baseball and
struck out a career-high eight to earn the first win of his career.