April 17, 2014 at 11:03 PM CDT - Updated July 11 at 12:15 PM
JONESBORO (AStateRedWolves.com) - The Arkansas State baseball team returns to Jonesboro for a home weekend baseball series for the first time in two weeks when it welcomes Sun Belt Conference foe Louisiana-Monroe to Tomlinson Stadium April 18-20.
A-State recently concluded a four game road swing in which it went 3-1, including a series victory over South Alabama and midweek road victory at Memphis. A-State is in second place in the SBC league standings by a full two games and is looking to gain ground on first place Louisiana-Lafayette.
This weekend's pitching rotation will feature a change as Bryan Ayers is scheduled to start on Saturday after a strong outing against UCA in his last start.
The games can be heard on 95.3FM The Ticket/970AM KNEA and in the StateZone.
A-STATE/ULM SERIES HISTORY
• The will be the 55th, 56th and 57th meetings all-time between the Red Wolves and Warhawks.
• A-State leads the all-time series 28-26.
• The Red Wolves took two out of three games from the Warhawks in Monroe last season.
• The series dates back to the 1973 season when the school was known as Northeast Louisiana.
• Austin Baker tied the school record for most walks in a single game against ULM last season with 4.
• Doug Walters threw a 1-hitter against ULM (then Northest Louisiana) in 1974.
THE TIGER SLAYER
• Tyler Zuber has had two of his best performances against Memphis this season.
• The freshman has combined to throw 10 innings of shutout baseball in two games against the Tigers.
• Those outings include a combined four hits (2 each game), nine strikeouts and no runs.
• He earned the first win of his collegiate career April 15 after tossing five innings and striking out a career-high six in the game.
• Dustin Jones ranks 14th among active players with 33 career sacrifice bunts in his career.
• Michael Faulkner holds the A-State career record for sac bunts with 37.
IT'S ALL ABOUT QUALITY
• A-State senior pitcher Bradley Wallace has tossed three straight quality starts dating back to March 30.
• Wallace tossed back to back seven inning outings March 30 and April 6 against Texas State and Western Kentucky and then tossed six innings at South Alabama April 13.
• In his last three starts, Wallace has given up just three runs, only two of which have been earned.
• Wallace also struck out a season-high seven against the Jaguars on April 13.
IT'S A SQUEEZE!
• A-State executed a squeeze play in the fifth inning of its game at South Alabama April 12 when Dustin Jones squeezed home a run.
• Ironically, the Jaguars also executed a squeeze bunt play later in the game.
A FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING
• Arkansas State capped off an impressive weekend in the city of Mobile by winning its first ever series against South Alabama in the state of Alabama.
• It was just the fifth series win for the Red Wolves out of the 25 series that the two teams have been played.
GAINES SHINES IN EXTRA INNINGS
• Tanner Gaines tossed 6.1 innings of scoreless baseball in A-State's 7-6 victory in extra-innings April 12 at South Alabama.
• Gaines entered the game with two outs in the seventh inning and proceeded to hold the Jaguars to just two hits and no ones to earn the win.
• A-State closer Morgan Croft recorded three saves April 9-13 including a 5-pitch save against Central Arkansas on April 9.
• He finished out the week with back-to-back saves against USA April 12-13.
AYERS FINDING GROOVE
• True freshman Bryan Ayers turned in the best start of his career Wednesday, April 9 against UCA.
• The Vilonia, Ark., native tossed six innings of shutout baseball and struck out a career-high eight to earn the first win of his career.