JONESBORO (AStateRedWolves.com) - The Arkansas State baseball team will look to extend its win streak to a season-long seven games Tuesday afternoon against in-state foe Central Arkansas. A-State is coming of a weekend series sweep of Louisiana-Monroe and maintained its two game lead of second place in the Sun Belt Conference standings. The Red Wolves also pulled within three-games of first-place Louisiana-Lafayette with the sweep.
The Red Wolve bats came alive in the series as the team pounded out at least 10 hits in each game and won in dramatic fashion with a walk-off fielder's choice Sunday afternoon to complete the weekend sweep.
Junior Chandler Hawkins will get the call on the mound for the Red Wolves.
The games can be heard on 95.3FM The Ticket/970AM KNEA and in the StateZone.
A-STATE/UCA SERIES HISTORY
• The will be the 23rd meeting all-time between A-State and Central Arkansas.
• A-State won the first game of the series earlier this season on April 9, 3-0.
• A-State and UCA split the last seasons series in 2007 with each team winning a home game.
• The series began in 1951 with A-State defeating the Bears 15-1.
• The team's met a Southwest Regional Postseason Tournament in 1962 with the Bears defeating the Red Wolves 5-3.
• A-State swept its third weekend opponent of the 2014 season with three victories over Louisiana-Monroe April 18-20.
• The Warhawks are also the second SBC opponent that the Red Wolves have swept this season (UALR was the first during the opening weekend of the conference).
• The Red Wolves also completed a midweek season sweep of Memphis earlier in the week, marking the first-time since 2009 that A-State had defeated the Tigers twice in one season.
FIELDER'S CHOICE WALK-OFF
• A-State completed a comeback from five runs down against ULM on April 20 in the most unusual way with a fielder's choice walk-off.
• The Red Wolves won the game by scoring four runs in the bottom of the ninth inning,
included the game winning run on a fielder's choice by Ty Michelotti. The freshman hit a slow
ground ball to second and the throw came home and but was too late as Zach Maggio scored the winning run.
IT'S JUST BASEBALL
• Freshman pitcher Byran Ayers shined in the first weekend start of his career April 19.
• The true freshman turned in a quality start by going six innings, striking out seven and giving up two runs on two hits for the first win of his collegiate career.
BURGESS EARNS WEEKLY SBC HONOR
• Sophomore Matt Burgess became the first Arkansas State position player since 2009 to the be named the Sun Belt Conference Player of the Week when the league revealed the weekly award on April 21.
• The last A-State position player to win the award was Michael Faulkner back in 2009.
• A pair of A-State pitcher (Jacob Lee and Daniel Wright) have been named the SBC Pitcher of the Week since that time.
• Burgess is the 21st position player to win the award in A-State history and the 47th overall (included hitters and pitchers).
WOODHOUSE GETS THE SAVE
• Senior Cody Woodhouse did something he had never done in his four years on the A-State pitching staff, record a save.