JONESBORO (AStateRedWolves.com) - The Arkansas State baseball team will put its five-game Sun Belt Conference winning streak on the line April 25-27 in Atlanta, Ga., against the Georgia State Panthers. This will be the first-ever meeting between the Panthers and Red Wolves and A-State enters the game having won six out of its last seven games.
Arkansas State has a two-game lead for second-place in the league standings and has pulled within three games of first-place Louisiana-Lafayette.
A-State will turn to sophomore RHP David Owen on Friday night, while senior Bradley Wallace will get the call on Saturday after making several starts on Sunday during the conference season.
The games can be heard on 95.3FM The Ticket/970AM KNEA and in the StateZone.
A-STATE/GSU SERIES HISTORY
• This will be the first-ever meeting between A-State and Georgia State.
HAWKINS DOMINATES BEARS
• Junior LHP Chandler Hawkins had a career night at Central Arkansas on April 22.
• In his first midweek start of the year, Hawkins fanned a career-high 10 in five innings of work.
• Hawkins retired eight in a row at one point and struck out five out looking on the night.
• He is the second A-State pitcher to reach double-digit strikeouts in a game this season (David Owen has struck out 10 twice.)
A-STATE PITCHING STAFF FANS SEASON-HIGH
• The Arkansas State pitching staff struck out a season-high 10 batters against Central Arkansas on April 22.
BURGESS ADDS ANOTHER WEEKLY HONOR
• Sophomore Matt Burgess was named the CollegeSportsMadness.com SBC Player of the Week on April 21.
• He is the second A-State player to be honored by the website this season (David Owen also earned POW honors earlier this season.)
WINNING STREAK SNAPPED...KINDA SORTA
• A-State had its six-game winning streak come to an end at Central Arkansas State on April 22.
• Despite the loss, the Red Wolves still have a five-game winning streak in SBC play in tact.
• A-State swept its third weekend opponent of the 2014 season with three victories over Louisiana-Monroe April 18-20.
• The Warhawks are also the second SBC opponent that the Red Wolves have swept this season (UALR was the first during the opening weekend of the conference).
• The Red Wolves also completed a midweek season sweep of Memphis earlier in the week, marking the first-time since 2009 that A-State had defeated the Tigers twice in one season.
FIELDER'S CHOICE WALK-OFF
• A-State completed a comeback from five runs down against ULM on April 20 in the most unusual way with a fielder's choice walk-off.
• The Red Wolves won the game by scoring four runs in the bottom of the ninth inning,