Jonesboro Elks Lodge #498 places flags on veterans' graves - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Jonesboro Elks Lodge #498 places flags on veterans' graves

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - Members of the community added some red, white and blue to the Jonesboro Memorial Park Cemetery Saturday morning.

The Jonesboro Elks Lodge #498 members placed flags at each veteran's grave in the Garden of Honor.

One member and veteran said this takes him back to his service in WWII.

"It's sad on these days," Elks Lodge member Bob King said. "I think about all of the friends I lost. We were in a lot of battles and we lost a lot of people. That's something I don't forget. I'm very forgetful, but I don't forget those days. And we don't want to forget our veterans because a lot of them sacrificed their lives for our country. And so that's the reason I'm out here today."

King has placed flags in the cemetery ever since the lodge started it almost a decade ago.

"I'll keep doing it as long as I can get around," King said.

King also shared one of his favorite memories from his service in WWII.

"On August 14, 1945, I was 20 years old and we were sailing into Japan to do some bombardment," King said. "All of a sudden, I hear all these aircraft guns going off and I thought we were being raided. But it so happened that Japan had surrendered on my birthday, my 20th birthday. And I thought, 'Well, they're celebrating my birthday!' It was so wonderful. Then in November, I was discharged and I went home. It was the best birthday present I ever had."

Copyright 2014 KAIT. All rights reserved.

PBM's discussed during meeting at Capitol

Wednesday, February 21 2018 11:06 PM EST2018-02-22 04:06:00 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 11:30 PM EST2018-02-22 04:30:16 GMT
    Pharmacists and supporters went to the old Arkansas Supreme Court chamber in the state Capitol Wednesday to ask for legislation dealing with pharmacy benefit managers. (Source: KARK)Pharmacists and supporters went to the old Arkansas Supreme Court chamber in the state Capitol Wednesday to ask for legislation dealing with pharmacy benefit managers. (Source: KARK)

A group of pharmacists spent their Wednesday at the state Capitol in Little Rock, battling for changes in drug reimbursement rates as lawmakers plan for a possible special session on the matter.

Brookland School District prepares for major tournament

Wednesday, February 21 2018 10:29 PM EST2018-02-22 03:29:11 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 11:02 PM EST2018-02-22 04:02:35 GMT

The Brookland School District is preparing for possible parking issues during the basketball 4-A State Tournament that expected to attract more than 10,000 people to the Bearcat Arena.

Students use app to reduce litter on school campus

Wednesday, February 21 2018 10:02 PM EST2018-02-22 03:02:13 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 11:00 PM EST2018-02-22 04:00:42 GMT

EAST Lab students at the Westside School District have found a way to track and reduce the litter on their campus simply by using an application.