JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - It's the case of the purse snatchers.
Lt. Stephen McDaniel said the victims often make it easy for these purse snatchers.
"It is very easy to break in and a criminal's not beyond breaking your window to get something valuable," McDaniel said.
Lt. McDaniel said this crime happens all over Jonesboro, from cars parked at sporting events to homes with open garages.
Lt. McDaniel said these criminals are not only on the hunt for purses, but also cell phones, other electronics and handguns.
Lt. McDaniel offered safety tips to keep cars and homes safe during the summer months:
- Keep doors locked at all times
- Lock windows and secure screens
- Keep valuable items hidden
- Have neighbors look out for you
- Use an alarm system
If anyone plans to go on vacation, Lt. McDaniel offered the following tips:
- Stop mail and newspapers or have a trusted neighbor collect them
- Lock windows and doors
- Don't discuss your trip in public or on social media
- Give your house a lived-in look with light timers, etc.