Fire investigator blames hot stove for overnight fire - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

Fire investigator blames hot stove for overnight fire

Posted: Updated:
Homeowner watches as flames dig into house. Homeowner watches as flames dig into house.
ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Fire investigators say a hot stove is to blame for a massive fire inside an Albany woman's home overnight. 

The woman told fire officials she was cooking french fries and never remembered eating them before leaving her home Wednesday night. An Albany fire investigator confirms her claim, saying the woman's stove was left on and ignited the flames.

It took firefighters nearly an hour to get the fire under control that destroyed the north Albany home. 

There were 4 fire trucks, several firefighters and one woman who is devastated to see all the things she has worked so hard for are nothing more but piles of ash. 

A neighbor spotted flames coming from a home in 2000 block of Elton Street and called 911 around 12:30 Thursday morning.

When firefighters arrived they found the home engulfed in flames.

"It was very, very bad. I believe in my opinion there's not going to be much left inside the house," said friend Linda Harrison.

The homeowner was not home at the time.

Neighbors tell WALB News 10 the woman who lived at the home, which is near the corner of Schley Avenue, is staying with friends.

Harrison stresses the importance of having open communication with neighbors so when an incident does occur they can be immediately contacted. 

 

 

Copyright 2014 WALB.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401
(870) 931-8888

FCC Public File
publicfile@kait8.com
(870) 336-1816
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KAIT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.