Texarkana animal adoption center hopes to become no-kill shelter - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Texarkana animal adoption center hopes to become no-kill shelter

The Animal Care and Adoption Center of the City of Texarkana is hoping to become a no-kill shelter. The Animal Care and Adoption Center of the City of Texarkana is hoping to become a no-kill shelter.
The shelter currently euthanizes 90 percents of its animals. A new advisory committee is hoping to change that. The shelter currently euthanizes 90 percents of its animals. A new advisory committee is hoping to change that.
TEXARKANA, AR (KSLA) -

The Animal Care and Adoption Center of the City of Texarkana now has an advisory committee which set some pretty big goals for the shelter.

The committee said Wednesday that they hope the center will become a no-kill shelter. They're also working to expand the number of volunteers and enhance shelter policies.

Committee chairwoman Debbie Brower said that only 10 percent of dogs are adopted, leaving the other 90 percent to be euthanized.

"I think last week they said there were maybe 120 dogs euthanized versus 15 dogs adopted. And that's a normal statistic there," chairwoman Debbie Brower said. "For a no-kill shelter it should be 90 percent versus 10 percent euthanized."

The committee was assigned to also help improve the facility and create marketing campaigns to benefit the center. Brower wants to remind the public that there are other ways to help besides adoption.

For more information or to volunteer, call (870) 773-6388 or visit www.acac.txkusa.org.

Copyright 2014 KSLA. All rights reserved. 

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Authorities see multi-layered approach in mental health

    Authorities see multi-layered approach in mental health

    Wednesday, November 22 2017 9:22 PM EST2017-11-23 02:22:45 GMT
    (Source: KARK)(Source: KARK)

    Pulaski County Sheriff Doc Holladay said this week that his department keeps track of nearly 1,200 inmates in the Pulaski County jail every day, with a little over five percent of them scheduled to be somewhere else.  

    Pulaski County Sheriff Doc Holladay said this week that his department keeps track of nearly 1,200 inmates in the Pulaski County jail every day, with a little over five percent of them scheduled to be somewhere else.  

  • Pair arrested in robbery, battery case

    Pair arrested in robbery, battery case

    Wednesday, November 22 2017 9:18 PM EST2017-11-23 02:18:31 GMT
    Whitney White (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office)Whitney White (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office)

    A pair of Jonesboro women were reportedly seen trying to conceal merchandise at a store Monday. Their problems soon escalated, police said Wednesday. 

    A pair of Jonesboro women were reportedly seen trying to conceal merchandise at a store Monday. Their problems soon escalated, police said Wednesday. 

  • Little Rock woman sees redemption in staying clean

    Little Rock woman sees redemption in staying clean

    Wednesday, November 22 2017 9:16 PM EST2017-11-23 02:16:12 GMT
    (Source: KARK)(Source: KARK)

    Madeline Tate said this week that her first heroin high happened when she was a senior in high school.  Now, she says she lives at a sober living center in Jackson, Mississippi.  

    Madeline Tate said this week that her first heroin high happened when she was a senior in high school.  Now, she says she lives at a sober living center in Jackson, Mississippi.  

Powered by Frankly