LAWRENCE COUNTY, AR (KAIT) - Despite last week's 5-4 vote against applying for a proposed multi-million dollar maximum-security state prison, Lawrence County had a special quorum court meeting Tuesday night deciding to move forward with the application.
"After the first vote last Monday, people started calling me and they didn't let up," said County Judge Dale Freeman. "They called me to get a meeting the next day so we could change the vote."
Tuesday night's quorum court meeting had a packed house as people shared their opinions. Special speakers came in to ease the main concern of those who were opposed.
"Those against it say it's the safety," said Freeman. General Guntharp who talked last night told them there won't be one fence but at least two or three, and electric equipment that if they touch anything it goes off."
A revote ended in approval for the application. Judge Freeman told Region 8 once he looked into its potential he felt it was best thing for Lawrence County to pursue it.
"It's going to benefit our county job wise and money wise," said Freeman. It could generate as much as $19 million a year for our county."
The application is due October 24th for any county who wishes to apply.