KENNETT, MO (KAIT) - Police in Kennett are currently investigating several break-ins, both from vehicles and residences.
The police department announced Monday officers are currently looking into a "series" of break-ins. Investigators are asking citizens to be extra vigilant and to report any suspicious activity to (573)888-4622.
The department listed these tips to help prevent vehicle break-ins:
- Leave any items home that might be attractive to thieves.
- Put items attractive to thieves in your trunk before you arrive at your destination.
- Never leave anything visible inside your vehicle.
- Park in a well-lit location with large amounts of foot traffic. Avoid parking on an isolated side street.
- Park in a parking lot that has an attendant.
- Roll up your car windows all the way, and lock your doors and engage your car alarm.
Here are some tips from the department about preventing home break-ins:
- Home security system – Deter thieves with noise or an automatic call to the police.
- Proper outside lighting – Thieves may choose to bypass a well-lit home.
- Strong exterior doors – Solid wood or metal provides stronger protection against break-ins.
- Block windows for the basement or locked window well covers – Use these to keep thieves from seeing or entering your basement.
- Locks for pet doors – Make sure your pet door isn't a point of entry for a thief.