ASU graduate carries 12-foot cross around world - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

ASU graduate carries 12-foot cross around world

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - An Arkansas State graduate is making the walk of a lifetime.

Keith Wheeler has been carrying a 12-foot cross around the world since 1985. He has traveled to more than 150 countries on all 7 continents.

"I felt like God wanted me to walk through my local city, I was in Tulsa at the time," Wheeler told Region 8 News.

Keith Wheeler walks with a cross to remind people of God's love. His walk began in 1985 on Good Friday and now he has walked over 22,000 miles.

"I've been in Iraq, I was the guest of Saddam Hussein, I've been through Chechnya, Nicaragua, Bosnia, I was there during the Rwanda conflict," he said.

Most recently, he has taken the cross up Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Africa. Wheeler said he takes this journey one step at a time.

"I walk just to remind people that you are loved," he said.

But Wheeler has run into some challenges along the way. He has been in jail more than 40 miles and run over 3 times. He has been left for dead twice.

Wheeler was a student-athlete at ASU and said he never imagined he would be making this walk.

"Many times if we could see the end, we would never begin," he said. "I think as a students at Arkansas State, I was in the dark, I had no idea.”

Wheeler will return to Africa in just two weeks.  He said he is grateful to the Jonesboro community for supporting him throughout his journey.

"I learned how to become a man in this community and I am always grateful," he said.

Copyright 2014 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Downtown businesses help out City Youth Ministries

Friday, November 17 2017 9:22 PM EST2017-11-18 02:22:20 GMT
    Friday, November 17 2017 9:55 PM EST2017-11-18 02:55:05 GMT

The holidays are just around the corner and businesses in downtown Jonesboro spent Friday evening giving back to kids in the community.

FCC to allow phone companies to block illegal robocalls

Friday, November 17 2017 9:40 PM EST2017-11-18 02:40:38 GMT
    Friday, November 17 2017 9:51 PM EST2017-11-18 02:51:13 GMT
    (Source: Pablo)(Source: Pablo)

The Attorney General of Arkansas was successful in getting the Federal Communications Commission’s to allow phone companies to block illegal robocalls.

Arkansas State University convention center coming soon

Friday, November 17 2017 9:07 PM EST2017-11-18 02:07:11 GMT
    Friday, November 17 2017 9:47 PM EST2017-11-18 02:47:34 GMT

After presenting a request to get their Embassy Suites Hotel and convention center up and running, the O’Reilly group received the green light from the Jonesboro Advertising and Promotions Commission. However, not without certain stipulations in that request.