Icy weather in Region 8 impacts drivers - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Icy weather in Region 8 impacts drivers

WALNUT RIDGE, AR (KAIT) -

Parts of Region 8 experienced winter weather Sunday morning.

Several road and business signs were icy but the roads weren't.

Many residents in the Walnut Ridge area said most of the problems they encountered with traveling Sunday happened at home.

“My doors were frozen shut and my windows were covered in a sheet of ice. I had to de-ice the doors and windshield before I could even get into the cars,” Leslie Ripley said.

She said she had a little scare while getting into her car.

“In the driveway where I stepped out and went to get in the car I slipped a little bit,” Ripley said.

Donna Pinkston, said her mother had a similar accident.

“She wanted to go get her paper and she just about fell in her carport on her sidewalk,” Pinkston said.

Drivers said whatever was frozen Sunday morning was melted by the time they decided to hit the road.

“All I experienced was just the wet roads, no ice where I was driving at,” Sarah Hudson said.

“When we got to church there was just a little ice but it melted by the time church was over,” said Ricca Brady.

Ripley said she's afraid her commute home may be more slippery.

“I know I don't want to be out and have to experience it because I don't drive good on ice. It kind of scares me,” she said.

Copyright 2015 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Teen drowns in Region 8 lake, authorities investigate

Saturday, November 18 2017 7:49 PM EST2017-11-19 00:49:59 GMT
    Saturday, November 18 2017 7:55 PM EST2017-11-19 00:55:56 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

According to the White County Sheriff’s Office, a teenager fell out of a boat at Bald Knob Lake and drowned.

Church gives food to those in need

Saturday, November 18 2017 5:14 PM EST2017-11-18 22:14:16 GMT
    Saturday, November 18 2017 6:40 PM EST2017-11-18 23:40:15 GMT

Philadelphia Baptist Church held their annual "Feeding the Multitudes" event on Saturday.

Winter Wonderland Ice Skating Rink now open

Saturday, November 18 2017 5:41 PM EST2017-11-18 22:41:28 GMT
    Saturday, November 18 2017 6:36 PM EST2017-11-18 23:36:18 GMT

The Winter Wonderland Ice Skating Rink officially opened in Jonesboro on Saturday.