Arkansas Soldier is Back in Iraq After Suing Army - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Little Rock, AR

Arkansas Soldier is Back in Iraq After Suing Army

JANUARY 11, 2005 - Posted at 7:56 a.m. CST

 

LITTLE ROCK, AR - Specialist David Qualls, who sued to challenge the Army's policy requiring him to serve longer than the term of his enlistment contract, is back in Iraq.

Qualls, from Morrilton, said he signed up in July 2003 for a one-year stint in the Arkansas National Guard, but he's been told he will remain on active duty in Iraq until next year.

Qualls mother-in-law Betty McElvana says Qualls is getting along okay.

Qualls and seven unnamed U.S. soldiers filed a lawsuit last month challenging the military's "stop loss" policy that allows the extension of active-duty deployments.

A judge denied Qualls' request for the restraining order after the government argued that allowing Qualls to stay on leave would set a dangerous precedent.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly