JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - A Jonesboro teenager was taken to a Memphis hospital after police say another teen choked her at school and officers are investigating the incident.
According to an incident report from Jonesboro police, an officer was dispatched Tuesday night to a local hospital to "an assault that had already taken place".
An officer stated in the report that he talked to the 13-year-old girl and her mother. She said her daughter attends Douglas MacArthur Junior High School.
The victim told police she was walking outside an academic building when another male student, about 13 or 14 years old, came up to her from behind and placed her in a choke hold "with his arm around her neck." Police say the incident occurred around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.
The report says she was choked hard enough that "she blacked out and fell to the ground" hitting her head on a metal railing. The victim told police other students saw her convulsing on the ground as if she was having a seizure.
According to the report, the officer spoke with a registered nurse at the hospital who said a CT scan was performed and results showed "possible hemorrhaging in her brain."
She was rushed to Le Bonheur Children's Hospital in Memphis. Wilbanks said the child has since been released.
Jonesboro School Superintendent Dr. Kim Wilbanks said surveillance video captured the incident and after reviewing the video, Wilbanks said no type of chokehold happened in the incident.
"What we found in the video is very different than what had been reported," Wilbanks said."The entire incident lasted about 10-15 seconds and appeared to be more of a horseplay situation that unfortunately was right next to a set of rails and the young lady fell into the rails and injured herself."
Wilbanks said police are reviewing the video.
Detective Lane Holmes said the incident was reported as horseplay to school officials but was reported as possibly being intentional to police.
"When the officer got there, it was told to him by the nurse that was treating the victim and also by the victim and her mother that it was an intentional act,"Holmes said. "What he was told yesterday and what has happened now today with the report last night and our involvement this morning is that's a completely different story than what they were told yesterday."
Holmes said he had plans to review the video with the school resource officer.
Wilbanks said safety is a top priority at her schools.
"I'm a parent myself and keeping children safe is of the very highest concerns," said Wilbanks. "This just wasn't a situation that I ever felt like there were students that were in jeopardy of not being safe."
Detective Holmes stated he called the victim's mother on Wednesday who said medical staff did not think her daughter required surgery at that time.