JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - There are 5 important things to remember if you are in or near a school zone.
Here are some tips from Jonesboro E911 Director Jeff Presley:
- In the absence of traffic signals, drivers must always slow down or stop for pedestrians in marked and unmarked crosswalks.
- At stop signs and when a school crossing guard is displaying an official stop sign or flag, drivers must come to a complete stop.
- Drivers must stop when approaching a school bus, or daycare bus that is stopped to pick up or let off children. The driver must remain stopped until the bus’ stop sign is retracted and red warning lights are turned off.
- Wherever a school traffic safety sign is posted, drivers should slow down and watch for children.
- And maybe the most important tip: in Arkansas the use of hand-held cell phones are banned while driving in a school zone or in a highway construction zone.
Police officers will be in some school zones as extra patrols to ensure safety.
Please be mindful of your surroundings and drive slow in or near school zones.
Copyright 2015 KAIT. All rights reserved.