JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - The nursing program at Arkansas State University was selected as one of the top 10 collegiate programs in the eastern region of the United States.
It's also the highest ranked program in Arkansas, according to NurseJournal.org.
Dean of the College of Nursing and Health Professions Dr. Susan Hanrahan was recently told about the award.
"This was absolutely the best news we could have received on the second day of fall classes," Hanrahan said. "The variables NurseJournal.org use to rank nursing programs fit our mission and philosophy perfectly. There are many nursing programs across the United States. We are very proud to be recognized as one of the top-10 programs in the eastern region—kudos to our faculty, staff and students."
Nursejournal.org researched nursing programs in 1,189 schools.
A-State is listed ninth in the eastern region, which includes Arkansas, Georgia, North Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, New York, Tennessee, Louisiana, Virginia, West Virginia, Alabama, Kentucky, Maryland, South Carolina, Delaware, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania.
The national ranking was divided into three major regions - eastern, central and western.
The nursing program at Arkansas State is one of the largest based on enrollment. It ranks highly among number of graduate degrees conferred.
Georgia Regents University topped the regional ranking.
Arkansas State leads all programs in the state, which includes Arkansas Tech, University of Arkansas-Little Rock, University of Central Arkansas, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, University of Arkansas and Henderson State.
A-State also tops the list of its Sun Belt peers.
The America's Best Nursing Schools and Colleges Eastern Top 10 list:
1. Georgia Regents University (Augusta, GA)
2. Fayetteville State University (Fayetteville, NC)
3. Pearl River Community College (Poplarville, MS)
4. University of Florida (Gainesville, FL)
5. University of South Florida Main Campus (Tampa, FL)
6. Mississippi University for Women (Columbus, MS)
7. University of North Carolina-Charlotte (Charlotte, NC)
8. Winston-Salem State University (Winston-Salem, NC)
9. Arkansas State University (Jonesboro, AR)
10. CUNY Lehman College (Bronx, NY)
Copyright 2015 KAIT. All rights reserved.