Certain types of mushrooms poisoning dogs

Certain types of mushrooms poisoning dogs

TRUMANN, AR (KAIT) - Something you may see in your yard could be making your dog sick.

Certain types of mushrooms can be poisonous and even deadly to dogs.

Dr. Norette Underwood with the Trumann Animal Clinic said while 99% of mushrooms are safe, there is 1% that's harmful, and it's difficult to tell the difference by just looking at them.

Those toxic plants are Amanita mushrooms.

Symptoms can include drooling, vomiting, and liver problems.

"They can just not feel good, and when they get more severe they have seizures and convulsions, and then they can just collapse and die," Underwood said.

Symptoms can show as early as 15 minutes after eating the mushroom or can take up to 6 hours.

Underwood said mushrooms grow mostly during the fall or in moist areas.

She said it's something to be aware of as homeowners rake leaves and mow grass.

The best thing she said dog owners can do is pull the mushrooms out of the yard before they let the dog outside.

Copyright 2015 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android