Local veterinarian warns dog owners of deadly ingredient

Local veterinarian warns dog owners of deadly ingredient

TRUMANN, AR (KAIT) - An ingredient found in human foods could cause harm to your dog.

According to Dr. Norette Underwood at Trumann Animal Clinic and Best Friends Vet Mobile Service, Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that can quickly lower a dog's blood pressure causing it to go into a coma.

Underwood said many dog owners give their pet peanut butter with medicine and they are unaware how dangerous it can be.

"They can have toxicity as fast as 15 to 30 minutes," Underwood said. "If you suspect that your dog has had any Xylitol it is imperative that you call your veterinarian immediately."

Underwood said signs to look for are vomiting, weakness, or difficulty walking.

Copyright 2015 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android