Firefighters save girl from smoke-filled residence

Firefighters save girl from smoke-filled residence

BLYTHEVILLE, AR (KAIT) - Firefighters rescued a child after responding to a cooking fire in Blytheville.

The fire happened in the 200-block of South 8th St. on the night of Nov. 18.

A report from the Blytheville Fire Department stated a call was received about a fire alarm going off in the apartment complex for "over an hour." Residents of the complex told firefighters they knocked on the door, but could get no answer.

Firefighters also banged on the door and windows as the fire alarm continued to sound.

Just before forcing their way into the residence a woman opened the door "with smoke rolling out and holding a smoldering pot."

She was asked if anyone else was in there with her and she initially said no. However, the report stated she then told firefighters her daughter was in the residence.

A member of Engine 11 went into the residence and found the 7-year-old girl sleeping. The firefighter woke her up and carried her out. She was "startled but alert," according to the report.

The woman said she had been cooking hot dogs and fell asleep. She said she did not hear the fire alarm or her neighbors.

Investigators determined the unattended cooking led to a small fire that created a large amount of smoke.

Copyright 2015 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android