JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - The temperatures are feeling more winter-like lately, which means people are starting to use more heating equipment in their homes.
Jonesboro E911 Director Jeff Presley wants to remind people that they need to be careful when using space heaters or other heating equipment.
He said in a press release that heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths.
Presley suggested these simple tips to prevent most heating-related fires from starting:
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment including a furnace, fireplace, wood stove or portable space heater
- Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters
- Never use your oven to heat your home
- Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed
- Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room.
- Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container and you should keep the container a safe distance away from your home
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms monthly
Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.