JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - If "Writing is the painting of the voice," according to Voltaire then several Region 8 students are artists.
Eighteen winners were selected in the "My Reason to Write" project put on by Project Prevent as stated in a news release by the Arkansas Department of Health.
The project encourages students to have a "healthier life and bright future." Students wrote essays, lyrics or poetry centered around the "elimination of tobacco and nicotine use from youth's homes and communities," ADH stated.
Winners, including several in Region 8, are as follows:
Essay Grades 2-3:
- 1st Alexis Rogers – Gosnell Elementary School
- 2nd Anna Claire Smith – Gosnell Elementary School
- 3rd Ryan Cromer – Indian Hills Elementary
Essay Grades 4-5:
- 1st Mattie Nash – Hugh Goodwin Academy for the Arts
- 2nd Zac Pennington – Lake Hamilton
- 3rd Jordan Young – Springhill Elementary School
Essay Grades 6-8:
- 1st Hannah Smith – Brookland Junior High
- 2nd Abby Williams – Nettleton Junior High School
- 3rd Laura Paul – Malvern Middle School
Lyrics/Poetry Grades 2-3:
- 1st Peyton Shilkitus – Southside Elementary School
- 2nd Alissa Thompson – 34th Elementary School
- 3rd Sydney Pomtree – Springhill Elementary
Lyrics/Poetry Grades 4-5:
- 1st Kaydence Walls – Lake Hamilton Intermediate
- 2nd Reid Gathright – Hugh Goodwin Academy for the Arts
- 3rd Kiera Dixon – Hugh Goodwin Academy for the Arts
Lyrics/Poetry Grades 6-8:
- 1st Dylan Steele – Nettleton Junior High School
- 2nd Nicole Orejuela – Haas Hall Academy Bentonville
- 3rd Brooke Clayton – Harrison Jr. High School
To read all the winning submissions, click here.
Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.