Justices of the Peace discuss redistribution of tax dollars - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Justices of the Peace discuss redistribution of tax dollars

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) -

The Craighead County Quorum Court meeting got heated Monday night during discussions on the distribution of certain tax dollars.

Justices of the Peace had varied opinions on redistributing money that comes into Craighead County through the statewide half-cent sales tax that passed in 2013.

The tax, which raised Arkansas taxes from 6 percent to 6.5 percent, expires in 2023. It increases the amount of state aid to cities and counties for road projects.

Craighead County Treasurer Terry McNatt told the court that they receive approximately $770,000 per year through the tax.

Right now, 60% of the money that comes into Craighead County goes to the road department. The remaining 40% goes to county general.

However, Justice of the Peace Josh Longmire presented an ordinance Monday night to change that.

The ordinance stated that since the county road department has come in under budget at least $600,000 each year for the past three years, the money should be redistributed.

"What have we done with all this money for three years? Nothing!" Longmire said.  "Buying equipment is not fixing the roads."
Longmire suggested that 40% go to the road department, 40% go to county general, and the remaining 20% go to capital funds to build that account back up. The money could also be used as a savings account.

"If we need that money, it's not going away. It's going to be put over there and if we need it, we can bring it before the full quorum court, we can allocate it for a disaster," JP Garry Meadows said.

Not everyone was on board with the idea though.

"To say since we're getting extra money to fix the roads we'll take it away to put it somewhere else to give someone a raise or something or another is uncalled for," JP Ray Kidd said.
When it came down to a vote, only five of the twelve Justices of the Peace present voted for the ordinance.

JP Ken Stacks was absent.

Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • breaking

    Fire destroys shop in Jackson County

    Fire destroys shop in Jackson County

    Sunday, December 17 2017 11:55 AM EST2017-12-17 16:55:56 GMT
    Sunday, December 17 2017 4:27 PM EST2017-12-17 21:27:03 GMT
    Firefighters from Diaz, Jacksonport and Tuckerman battled a blaze on Highway 18 Sunday morning at a 10,000 square foot shop. (Source: Diaz Police Chief James Thompson)Firefighters from Diaz, Jacksonport and Tuckerman battled a blaze on Highway 18 Sunday morning at a 10,000 square foot shop. (Source: Diaz Police Chief James Thompson)

    Firefighters spent several hours Sunday battling a blaze in Jackson County that completely destroyed a 10,000-square-foot shop. 

    Firefighters spent several hours Sunday battling a blaze in Jackson County that completely destroyed a 10,000-square-foot shop. 

  • Woman dies after trailer fire north of Doniphan, MO

    Woman dies after trailer fire north of Doniphan, MO

    Sunday, December 17 2017 3:49 PM EST2017-12-17 20:49:31 GMT
    (Source: KFVS)(Source: KFVS)

    One woman has died after a fire in Ripley County, Missouri.

    One woman has died after a fire in Ripley County, Missouri.

  • breaking

    ASP investigates homicide

    ASP investigates homicide

    Sunday, December 17 2017 2:22 PM EST2017-12-17 19:22:42 GMT
    Sunday, December 17 2017 2:31 PM EST2017-12-17 19:31:41 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    According to Lt. Allen Edwards with the Newport Police Department, authorities are investigating the death of a man Saturday night. 

    According to Lt. Allen Edwards with the Newport Police Department, authorities are investigating the death of a man Saturday night. 

Powered by Frankly