PARAGOULD, AR (KAIT) - A heating and cooling unit malfunction appears to be the cause of a Paragould church fire.
Paragould Fire Chief Kevin Lang tells Region 8 News he believes the fan in the unit that blows air quit working, but the heating element was still functioning. The thermostat never kicked off and eventually sparked the fire.
Lang said church members noticed smoke as they were leaving
Firefighters responded to the fire Tuesday night at Hillcrest Church of Christ located on Highway 412 West, near Crowley's Ridge College. The fire was under control by around 10 p.m..
No injuries were reported.
The church stated on their Facebook page there was "minor damage" done to the building.
Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.