Lottery winner will use prize to help others - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Lottery winner will use prize to help others

Darek Tyler (Source: Arkansas Scholarship Lottery) Darek Tyler (Source: Arkansas Scholarship Lottery)
JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) -

Instead of spending his prize winnings on bills or fancy vacations, a Jonesboro man said he is saving it for a bigger dream.

Darek Tyler won $50,000 in the Arkansas Scholarship Lottery’s 200X instant game.

Tyler bought his winning $20 ticket at the M S Express, 3224 S. Caraway.

“The cashier was like holy smokes, holy smokes,” Tyler said.

When he realized he had won, Tyler said he told his mom first.

He said he plans to use the prize to start a non-profit organization to provide rehabilitation help for people with autism, people battling drug issues and veterans with post traumatic stress disorder.

The organization will be an equine center, which uses horses for therapy and an animal rescue center.

Tyler said he came up with the idea when he was eight years old and ever since then he has been working toward this goal.

“I came up with this idea when I was about eight and I said I want to give back," Tyler said. "I came from a family of military. My dad was in the Navy so this is something I really want to do."

Tyler said he knows firsthand how animals can be a great healing tool.

“I love to handle animals and I have some medical issues. I have epilepsy so being around animals helped," Tyler said.

He has even seen the power of animal therapy through his friends.

“I have a friend that had PTSD and he would have episodes every night when he was going to sleep and they did not turn out pretty, I mean it is hard for people with PTSD,” Tyler said. “I owned horses though and he would come out to work with them and his PTSD dropped.”

Tyler said he feels as if winning this money is a push to open the rehabilitation center.

“It can happen to anyone and you know it’s just luck and it shows me that I have goals and here is an opportunity to obtain that goal,
 Tyler said.

Tyler has put the lottery money in savings and will continue to save until he can make his dream a reality.

“This money is going to be going toward that goal and it is really going to help, it is kind of like I thank God everyday that he gave me this opportunity because he is like here Darek you got a goal lets do it," Tyler said.

Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android

Live in Montgomery: The Day before the Big Game

Friday, December 15 2017 11:41 PM EST2017-12-16 04:41:07 GMT
    Friday, December 15 2017 11:49 PM EST2017-12-16 04:49:15 GMT
    The A-State football team visited the Rosa Parks Museum this week as part of bowl festivities for the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl in Montgomery, Ala. (Source: KAIT)The A-State football team visited the Rosa Parks Museum this week as part of bowl festivities for the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl in Montgomery, Ala. (Source: KAIT)

It was a busy Friday as the A-State Red Wolves finished the final preparations for Saturday's game against Middle Tennessee in the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl in Montgomery.

Greensborough Village project sees first building construction project

Friday, December 15 2017 11:18 PM EST2017-12-16 04:18:27 GMT
    Friday, December 15 2017 11:38 PM EST2017-12-16 04:38:31 GMT
    A developer said Friday that the Greensborough Village project is moving ahead. (Source: KAIT)A developer said Friday that the Greensborough Village project is moving ahead. (Source: KAIT)

A 200-acre property project in the Hilltop area of Jonesboro is moving ahead, a developer of the project said Friday.

• breaking

One dead, one in custody, investigator says in Lawrence County shooting

One dead, one in custody, investigator says in Lawrence County shooting

Friday, December 15 2017 9:17 PM EST2017-12-16 02:17:05 GMT
    Friday, December 15 2017 11:17 PM EST2017-12-16 04:17:18 GMT
    Lawrence County deputies were at the scene of a shooting Friday night on Highway 91. (Source: KAIT)Lawrence County deputies were at the scene of a shooting Friday night on Highway 91. (Source: KAIT)

According to Sgt. Jamie White of the Lawrence County Sheriff's Office, authorities there are investigating a shooting in which a woman was killed.