Currently, Arkansas ranks second in the nation in household food insecurity, and our state ranks number 1 in senior hunger. Sadly, hunger is an unwelcome guest in many Arkansas homes.
In 2015, the Food Bank of Northeast Arkansas and our network of more than 100 food pantries, soup kitchens, and shelters distributed 5.8 million pounds of food. To put that into perspective, that is the equivalent of 4.8 million meals. While that sounds like a lot of food, it simply isn't enough.
There are still millions of meals missing from the tables of our neighbors. To provide enough food for families, the Food Bank would need to distribute an additional 7.2 million meals each year.
The Food Bank cannot close this meal gap alone, and we need your help:
• Consider becoming a monthly donor to allow the Food Bank to distribute fresh fruits and vegetables throughout the year.
• Sponsor a child to receive a backpack filled with kid-friendly food for each weekend of the school year.
• Sponsor a senior citizen living on a fixed income to receive food boxes throughout the year.
• Host a food drive at your business, school, or church to benefit the Food Bank of Northeast Arkansas.
There are many ways to get involved in helping the Food Bank close the meal gap in Northeast Arkansas.
Visit our website at foodbankofnea.org or call the Food Bank at 870-932-FOOD to learn more.
Helping the Food Bank of Northeast Arkansas 'Close the Meal Gap' will make this A Better Region 8.
- Christie Jordan, CEO of the Food Bank of Northeast Arkansas
Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.