RUSSELLVILLE, Ark. - The Harding softball team split with No. 5 Arkansas Tech on Tuesday in a Great American Conference doubleheader. The Golden Suns won the first game 5-1 and the Lady Bisons took the second game 4-1. It was Harding's first win over a ranked team (1-5).
Arkansas Tech won the series 3-1 after winning both games of a doubleheader in Searcy on March 29.
Harding moves to 27-21 overall and 19-17 in the GAC. Arkansas Tech moves to 39-6 overall and 29-5 in the GAC. The Lady Bisons stay in fifth place in the GAC standings. The top eight teams in the standings advance to the GAC Tournament held in Bentonville, Arkansas April 28-30.
Game One Key Innings (Arkansas Tech 5, Harding 1)
- Arkansas Tech scored one run in every inning but the second inning.
Game One Key Statistics
- Arkansas Tech had nine hits in the game led by Alex Edinger and Kambri Hill who each had three hits.
- The Golden Suns had two RBIs in the game. Destiny Crumpley and Hill each had one.
- Jalissa Gum got the win for Arkansas Tech to improve to 16-1 overall. She pitched six innings, gave up five hits, no earned runs and struck out 11.
- Harding starter Hannah Johnson received the loss and falls to 13-8 on the season. She threw the complete game, gave up four earned runs and struck out four.
Game Two Key Innings (Harding 4, Arkansas Tech 1)
- Harding held Arkansas Tech scoreless until the seventh inning when Sydnie Henson drove in Kambri Hill from third.
Game Two Key Statistics
- It was the ninth time this season Peyton Mills has drove in multiple RBIs in a game.
- Hannah Johnson got the win for the Lady Bisons to improve to 14-8 overall. She threw her 13th complete game, gave up five hits and no earned runs.
- Morgan Vaughan received her first loss of the season for Arkansas Tech and falls to 14-1. She threw 4 1/3 innings, gave up nine hits and four earned runs.
- Harding will continue GAC action this weekend when it travels to Alva, Oklahoma to take on Northwestern Oklahoma Friday and Saturday in a four-game series. First pitch on Friday is at 2 p.m.