MAGNOLIA, Ark. - Southern Arkansas held off a late Harding rally and defeated the Bisons 5-4 in a non-conference baseball game at Walker Stadium at Goodheart Field.
Southern Arkansas improved to 25-13 and won three of the four games against Harding this season. The Bisons had a four-game winning streak snapped and fell to 18-21.
Harding plays a three-game series Friday and Saturday against Northwestern Oklahoma in Searcy. The Bisons are currently in seventh place in the Great American Conference standings and need to remain in the top eight to make the GAC Tournament.
- Harding took a 1-0 lead in the first. Zac Stewart singled to lead off the game and scored on the first of Blake Coward's two doubles. It was Coward's 20th RBI of the season.
- Southern Arkansas took a 2-1 lead in the second, using two hits, a wild pitch, a hit batter and a sacrifice bunt to score two.
- Three hits in the third inning gave Southern Arkansas a 3-1 lead. Justin Buchanan's single, the third of the inning, scored Jake Tisevich.
- Buchanan homered with one out in the fifth to give the Muleriders a 4-1 advantage, and Mitchell Page's squeeze bunt in the sixth made it 5-1.
- Harding closed the lead to 5-3 in the seventh. Alan Copeland singled with no outs to score Tyler Mohr from third. After Stewart doubled, Copeland scored from third on Harrison Hunter's sacrifice fly.
- Harding loaded the bases with no outs in the eighth but scored only one run on Tyler Mohr's sacrifice fly that cut the lead to 5-4.
- Harding had another chance in the top of the ninth with Stewart and Hunter singling to open the inning. They reached second and third with one out but did not score.