SEARCY - No. 25 Arkansas-Monticello used five straight singles to score three runs in the top of the third and defeat Harding 5-2 on Tuesday in a non-conference baseball game at Jerry Moore Field.
Arkansas-Monticello (26-11) defeated Harding for the first time in four games this season. Harding (20-22) won all three Great American Conference games in Monticello on April 8-9.
Arkansas-Monticello was 7-for-15 with runners on base and 5-for-11 with runners in scoring position. Harding was hitless in 12 at-bats with runners on and 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position.
- Arkansas-Monticello leadoff hitter Evan Comeau opened the game with a double to right and scored the first run of the game on Cory Wood's single to right that gave UAM a 1-0 lead.
- Harding tied the game with a solo home run from Grant Guest in the bottom of the second inning. It was Guest's third home run of the season.
- With one out in the third, Weevil Nick Piraino singled to center. It was the first of five consecutive singles. Wood drove in a run with an infield single, and Travis Steinke had a two-run single to left.
- UAM had the bases loaded three times in the fifth inning but scored only once on an RBI single by Guy Halbert that made the score 5-1.
- A pair of Weevil throwing errors accounted for Harding's run in the eighth. Zac Stewart reached on a fielder's choice and went to second on a throwing error by UAM second baseman Piraino. Stewart scored from second when UAM shortstop Comeau threw away Blake Coward's ground ball.