Child continues to recover after mass shooting - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Child continues to recover after mass shooting

Officers responding to the deadly shooting (Source: KAIT) Officers responding to the deadly shooting (Source: KAIT)
JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) -

A young boy continues to recover two years after a mass shooting in East Jonesboro.

On May 3, 2014, Porfirio Hernandez shot and killed 4 people, including himself. Four others were injured in the shooting.

Hayde Davila and her two sons, Bryan and Angel, survived.

Hayde was shot in the face and had to have reconstructive surgery on her jaw.

She still has trouble speaking and moving normally.

Her younger son, Angel, is still hospitalized two years after the shooting.

Hernandez shot Angel in the head, between his eyes. He is now blind.

He has made improvements in the past year, though.

Hayde told Region 8 News Angel can now move his legs and has started to walk again. Last year at this time he was still paralyzed.

He is also speaking more clearly now.

Hayde said Angel has another surgery planned for Monday.

She continues to visit him every weekend at Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock.

Hayde’s daughter Flora Davila and her husband Crisantos Islas were both killed in the shooting.

Medical documents show Hernandez was suffering from depression and had been released from a hospital just days before the shooting. 

Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Watch Region 8 News On Demand: On your Desktop | On your Mobile device

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android

Powered by Frankly