JACKSONVILLE (AGFC) – When the smoke cleared at the east regional qualifier of the Arkansas Youth Shooting Sports Program Friday and Saturday, Corning and Cabot stood out from the crowd as the first-place qualifiers in the junior- and senior-high divisions, respectively.
Corning not only took first place in the junior-high division, they swept the top three places. A Corning senior-high squad also claimed the third-place title in that division Saturday.
Saturday's competition was dominated by the Young Guns squad from Cabot. Jonesboro Valley View took second place in senior-level competition Saturday.
Five-person squads compete during each AYSSP event, with each junior high division athlete shooting at 25 clays and each senior high division athlete shooting at 50 clays.
"All student athletes performed exceptionally well, despite lightning delays and rain throughout both days of competition," said Chuck Woodson, AYSSP coordinator for the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. "We're proud to see the enthusiasm and sportsmanship these young men and women displayed during less than ideal conditions."
Two perfect scores were recorded during the junior division qualifier, and two more were tallied during the senior division's competition. Clayton Kemp of Corning and Chance Brigance of the Rivercrest Colts both broke all 25 clays during their regional rounds Friday. Kolbe Garner of the Cabot Panthers and Jarrett Clark of 5 Rivers Trap Team scored perfect 50s Saturday.
The top 16 teams in each division will compete at the AYSSP State Championship, June 3-4, against 48 other regional qualifiers to be determined in the next three weeks. All student athletes who shoot perfect scores also will be invited to shoot in a Champion of Champions event during the state competition.
To learn more about AYSSP or to become a coach, visit www.agfc.com/ayssp or contact Chuck Woodson at 501-230-4738.
Junior High Division East Regional Qualifiers:
1. Corning Trap Team/Squad 2 - 115
2. Corning Trap Team/Squad 3 - 107
3. Corning Trap Team/Squad 1 - 106
4. Cabot Panthers/Young Guns - 102
5. NLR Charging Wildcats/Jr. Gold - 100
6. Five Rivers Trap Club/Black River - 96
7. Jonesboro Valley View Shooting Stars/Jr. Gold - 95
8. Hillcrest/Sharp Shootin Eagles - 95
9. Little Rock Christian/Blue Squad - 95
10. Corning Trap Team/Squad 4 - 95
11. Gunnin Greyhounds/Squad 2 - 93
12. Corning Trap Team/Squad 5 - 92
13. Westside Trap Team/Jr. White - 91
14. Greene Co 4-H/Skeet Rangers - 90
15. Baptist Prep/Long Guns - 90
16. Gosnell Pirates/Trap Hogs - 90
Senior High Division East Regional Qualifiers:
1. Cabot Panthers/Young Guns - 243
2. Jonesboro Valley View/Sr. Black - 236
3. Corning Trap Team/Sr. Squad 2 - 233
4. 5 Rivers Trap/Eleven Point River - 231
5. Corning Trap Team/Sr. Squad 1 - 231
6. Gosnell Pirates/Trap Hogs - 230
7. Brookland Bearcats/Sr. 1 - 230
8. Des Arc Eagles/Sr. Eagles 1 - 225
9. Greene Co. 4H/Smokin' Aces - 222
10. Cabot Panthers/Revolutionaries - 222
11. Westside Trap/Sr. Red - 222
12. Jack Co. FFA/Jack Co. 1 - 222
13. PA Bruins/Red - 221
14. Corning Trap Team/Sr. Squad 3 - 220
15. Cabot Panthers/Rebels - 220