Bomb threat reported at Jonesboro Walmart - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Bomb threat reported at Jonesboro Walmart

(Source: KAIT) (Source: KAIT)
JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) -

Monday, May 16, UPDATE:  The manager of a Jonesboro Walmart estimates Sunday night’s bomb threat cost the store $50,000 in lost merchandise. Maybe even more.

Sunday evening, shortly after 6, a man called Jonesboro E-911 to report "two devices" inside the 1815 E. Highland store. The man did not say exactly where the bombs were located.

Several officers, including Sgt. Lane Holmes, sped to the scene to assist with what they thought was an in-progress evacuation.

When Holmes spoke with the store manager, she reportedly said did not know a threat had been called in.

While officers evacuated shoppers, more officers arrived at the store and blocked the driveways into the lot but allowed "citizens to exit freely," Holmes reported.

"There were multiple people running from the exits and appeared very distressed when they were told about the possibility of a bomb inside the building," Holmes stated.

Several people approached the sergeant, "worried about getting their family members out" of the store.

"I did my best to assure everyone that Walmart and the Jonesboro police were working quickly to get everyone out of the store," Holmes said.

After clearing the store, Holmes and several other officers, including a bomb sniffing K9 unit, conducted a sweep of the store.

After searching for more than 15 minutes and not finding anything, Holmes told Walmart management it was their decision to reopen the store.

"Walmart employees then entered the store and began the process of getting it ready for customers," Holmes said.

He stated there were "upwards of 40 shopping carts full of food products and merchandise" that would likely be written off.

The store's manager estimated the loss at approximately $50,000 or more.

After police cleared the scene, Holmes learned the bomb threat had been called in by someone using a TracFone. 

Holmes spoke with one of the telephone carrier's law enforcement representatives who provided him with the name and address of the TracFone subscriber. The suspect's information was omitted from the report.

According to the report, the call was placed from a location on Highland Drive, .7 miles east of the store. The specific address was also omitted from the report.


A bomb threat was reported at a Jonesboro Walmart Sunday evening. 

According to Jonesboro police, several officers were dispatched to investigate the threat at the Walmart on Highland Drive.

The building was evacuated while crews investigated. 

Police said nothing was found in the building. 

Region 8 News will have more information as details emerge. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for up to the minute updates.

Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android

Powered by Frankly