Tips to prevent burns from outdoor garden hoses

Preventing burns
Water Hose (Source: KAIT)
Water Hose (Source: KAIT)

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - In Arizona on Thursday, water from an outdoor garden hose burned a 9-month-old baby.

The baby survived, but suffered second degree burns from the scalding water.

Like Arizona, temperatures are rising in Arkansas as we enter the summer months. Therefore, it is becoming increasingly important that we take all measures necessary to stay safe from these types of burns.

Region 8 News spoke with Jonesboro Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief  Alan Dunn, to find out how we can protect ourselves and those around us from this scalding water.

"You just need to be very careful when you use a hose that has water in it", said Alan Dunn, "You need to make sure that you flush the hose prior spraying the water on children or adults or any human as far as that goes. Also the animals that might be involved, if you turn on the hose to give your dog a bath, for an example, you want to make sure you flush the water out of that before you actually put the water on the dog."

Dunn noted that second degree burns are possible once water reaches above 120 degrees, this means it does not take long for the hose to heat up past this point.

He also pointed out that darker colored garden hoses, like black or green, absorb the heat much faster than the lighter hoses.

Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Watch Region 8 News On Demand: On your Desktop | On your Mobile device

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android