Man Pleads Guilty in St. Francis County Deaths - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Forrest City, AR

Man Pleads Guilty in St. Francis County Deaths

APRIL 21, 2005 - Posted at 8:28 a.m. CDT

 

FORREST CITY, AR - A man has pleaded guilty to two counts of second-degree murder in the St. Francis County deaths of his mother-in-law and brother-in-law.

Lester Noss of the Heth community had been charged in last spring's deaths of Connie Austin and Scotty Austin.  He pleaded guilty this week in court and was sentenced to 30 years in prison.  At the time of the killings, police said the shootings resulted from a long-running dispute between Moss and his in-laws.  Moss' wife and Scotty Austin are sister and brother and were adopted by Connie Austin.

The prosecutor said he accepted a plea agreement because Moss has a low intelligence level and didn't fully understand the severity of his actions.  Moss went to an auxillary police officer's home after the killings and admitted shooting two people.  Prosecutor Fletcher Long said that helped show that Moss was not mentally competent.

Court records are inconclusive on whether Moss and his wife Christy are still married.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • breaking

    ASP to investigate officer involved shooting

    ASP to investigate officer involved shooting

    Saturday, December 16 2017 9:57 PM EST2017-12-17 02:57:14 GMT
    Sunday, December 17 2017 10:59 AM EST2017-12-17 15:59:15 GMT

    An officer-involved shooting Saturday night in Independence County will be investigated by the Arkansas State Police, officials said Sunday morning. 

    An officer-involved shooting Saturday night in Independence County will be investigated by the Arkansas State Police, officials said Sunday morning. 

  • Report: Pentagon spent millions on UFO research

    Report: Pentagon spent millions on UFO research

    Sunday, December 17 2017 3:49 AM EST2017-12-17 08:49:10 GMT
    Sunday, December 17 2017 3:49 AM EST2017-12-17 08:49:10 GMT

    The defense department has never before acknowledged the existence of the program. Pentagon officials say it shut down in 2012.

    The defense department has never before acknowledged the existence of the program. Pentagon officials say it shut down in 2012.

  • Second-grader collects almost 1,200 toys for children in hospital

    Second-grader collects almost 1,200 toys for children in hospital

    Sunday, December 17 2017 3:48 AM EST2017-12-17 08:48:06 GMT
    Sunday, December 17 2017 3:48 AM EST2017-12-17 08:48:06 GMT

    The second-grader came up with the idea to collect toys for the kids at the hospital, who can’t go home for the holidays.

    The second-grader came up with the idea to collect toys for the kids at the hospital, who can’t go home for the holidays.

Powered by Frankly