Two men arrested on robbery, battery charges

Two men arrested on robbery, battery charges

Police arrested two men they say attempted to flee after committing a robbery and battery early Sunday morning.

Jonesboro police responded to calls about an assault and robbery near the Vault on Fair Park in Jonesboro around 2:30 a.m., according to the incident report.

Police spoke to the victim who told them that between 2 and 2:30 a.m. he was at his cousin's hotel room at the America's Best Value Inn with several people he did not know.

The victim said he left the hotel room around 2:30 a.m. and the individuals followed him to the corner of Phillips and Fair Park and chased him to the back of Jonesboro ATV where they tackled him.

The suspects repeatedly punched and kicked the victim and stole $15 dollars cash from his wallet. They then fled on foot and the victim walked to the Vault.

As police were speaking with the victim they spotted several men watching them before leaving the area.

Police found 20-year-old Chase Patrick Malone, of Holland, Michigan hiding near the Days Inn parking lot.

Malone was soaking wet with cuts and debris on him from running through bushes. Police also said he appeared to be intoxicated and smelled of alcohol.

He told police he ran from them because he was afraid of the K9 officer.

Malone said that he and two other men thought the victim had stolen a phone from them so they ran him down and beat him up to regain the phone, according to the incident report.

He said one of the men with him, named Greg or "G-Man," went through the victim's pockets.

Police took Malone to the Craighead County Detention Center and charged him with robbery, fleeing, public intoxication, purchase or possession of intoxicating liquor by a minor, and third-degree battery.

Police also located a second suspect in the Hampton Inn parking lot.

Kenneth Joseph Puegh, 18, also of Holland, Michigan, admitted to fleeing and being involved in the fight.

Puegh told police that the victim had taken several phones from the hotel room and after the confrontation occurred the cell phones were returned.

Puegh admitted to chasing the victim and tackling him, but said he did not strike the victim.

Puegh was taken to the Craighead County Detention Center and charged with robbery and third-degree battery.

The case is currently under investigation.

Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Watch Region 8 News On Demand: On your Desktop | On your Mobile device

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android