UPDATE: FBI says no wrongdoing in fight between inmate and jailers

Two jailers reportedly fight with inmate

PARAGOULD, AR (KAIT) - A fight between jailers and an inmate is under investigation in Greene County, although the FBI has determined there was no wrongdoing in the incident.

Chief Deputy Rick Mellow said completed their investigation into the incident Monday.

Arkansas State Police is also investigating the claim that an inmate was injured while in the jail.

Public Information Officer Bill Sadler tells Region 8 News the ASP Criminal Investigation Division started an investigation into claims that Christopher Cody Worsham, 31, sustained injuries on July 30, 2016.

Sadler states the investigation started as the result of a request from Second Judicial District Prosecuting Attorney Scott Ellington.

According to an incident report from the sheriff's department, Sgt. Blaine Cagle responded to the south end of the facility around 5:30 p.m. because an inmate was "acting irate" after he did not receive the food he wanted.

Worsham had teeth pulled earlier in the day and was placed on a soft tray diet. He was reportedly unhappy with his food even after being told all inmates on that diet got the same meal.

Ofc. Nathan Whitt was in the south pod when he received an emergency intercom notification from Worsham's pod.

He reportedly pushed the emergency button and told Whitt "I'd like you to come down here so I can ram this down your throat," when asked what the emergency was.

He also said he was going to kick the door until he got some better food.

Cagle went to the cell and instructed Worsham to back up from the door, but he would not comply and continued to yell and threaten officers.

Cagle went into the cell to get Worsham, but he pulled away and wouldn't walk out, so Cagle took him to the ground to be handcuffed.

Worsham refused to give up his hands and continued to fight after being turned over on his stomach, according to the report.

Cagle then deployed a short burst of pepper spray to Worsham's face before removing him from the cell and handcuffing him behind his back.

While being taken out of the cell, Worsham hit Whitt in the face.

Cagle and Cpl. Skyler Jones then began to escort the inmate when Worsham leaned forward, brought his arms over his head, and began to fight again.

He was pepper sprayed again before finally complying and being taken to change clothes and decontaminate.

After completing the decontamination process, Worsham was taken to medical to be screened.

A nurse bandaged a wound from hitting his head on the ground and cleared him to go back to a cell.

Cagle then decided to place Worsham in a medical observation unit because he feared he might have a concussion.

At last check, the sheriff department's investigation is ongoing.

Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Watch Region 8 News On Demand: On your Desktop | On your Mobile device

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android