Once again, Arkansas State University police are investigating an alleged sexual assault on campus.
A young woman reported a man sexually assaulted her Saturday morning in a Northpark Quad apartment.
I appreciate the fact that school officials immediately took the necessary steps of alerting all of their students about the alleged assault.
Their alert included the following suggestions:
- Be alert to your surroundings.
- Travel with a friend.
- Stay in well-lighted areas.
- Walk with confidence.
- Stay close to the curb.
- If you feel uneasy, get out of that situation.
Unfortunately, all of these tips suggest a woman's safety is her sole responsibility. It seems like society is programmed to look toward the woman and her actions and a lot of times the victim has to prove their innocence.
Where are the tips for men?
- When a woman says “no,” she means it.
- Just because a woman comes to your apartment does not mean she wants to have sex.
- No woman asks or wants to be raped or sexually assaulted.
Maybe, just maybe, if more men acted like real men and followed these rules, there MIGHT be fewer rapes and sexual assaults.
When that day comes, it will truly be a better world…and A Better Region 8.
- Chris Conroy, KAIT VP & General Manager
Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.