LITTLE ROCK, AR (KAIT) - The United Methodist Church of Arkansas announced Friday the awarding of over $25,000 to 14 groups around the state, including several in Region 8.
The money, which comes from the 200,000 Reasons to Fight Childhood Hunger Initiative, support school programs and ministries that feed hungry children, using backpacks with food items distributed to students for the weekend, school food pantries and other methods of distributing food to Arkansas' estimated 200,000 children who deal with food insecurity.
The grant funding is raised through Ingathering, an annual, statewide United Methodist collection and service event.
The following Northeast Arkansas churches and organizations received the funding:
* First United Methodist Church (Harrisburg) and ASU Wesley Foundation
* Hoxie United Methodist Church
* Melbourne United Methodist Church
* First United Methodist Church (Paragould)
* St. Paul United Methodist Church (Searcy)
Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.