POPLAR BLUFF, MO. (KAIT/AP) - A federal agency has cited an Indiana tree-trimming company after an employee died of heat exposure in southeast Missouri.
The Daily American Republic reports that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration proposed penalties of $12,471 for Townsend Tree Service LLC. OSHA found the company failed to protect 23-year-old Tyler Halsey, of Dexter, from the heat.
Halsey became overheated in July as the heat index climbed to 112 degrees while he was working near Popular Bluff. OSHA says Halsey was admitted to a hospital with a core body temperature of 108 degrees and died the next day.
Reports say Townsend Tree Service hired Halsey only three days before, and he was not acclimated to the heat.
Townsend Tree Service didn't immediately return a phone message from The Associated Press seeking comment.
Information from: Daily American Republic, http://www.darnews.com