LITTLE ROCK, AR (KAIT) - Cooler temperatures and the first good signs of rutting activity beckoned well for the first youth hunt of the 2016-17 deer season last weekend, and Arkansas's young hunters did not disappoint. They harvested 9,429 deer during the two-day season.
According to Cory Gray, deer program coordinator for the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, the harvest is lower than last year's 12,000-deer youth hunt but is very similar to the 2014 season, in which youth hunters took just over 9,700 deer.
Since the development of internet and telephone checking, biologists and the public can see the harvest in real time by visiting https://www.ark.org/agfc/gamecheck/reports.php.
According to checked numbers, Arkansas's deer harvest is at about 51,000 deer statewide. Again, this is below last year's harvest of 64,000, but on track with the year before, which had 53,000 deer checked by this point in the season.
The slow start to this season has had a few hunters concerned but Gray says things should balance out as cooler weather sets in and more hunters enter the woods.
"We often see hunting seasons start off slowly, but quickly catch-up as the season progresses," Gray said. "The opening weekend of modern gun season and the week of Thanksgiving will be crucial periods for state harvest."
The AGFC will be continuing to monitor for the spread of chronic wasting disease during opening weekend of modern gun season by manning 25 biological sampling sites within 10 counties in northern Arkansas.
Biologists ask all hunters who wish to voluntarily submit their deer for sampling on Nov. 12-13 to bring any checked deer from Boone, Carroll, Johnson, Logan, Madison, Marion, Newton, Pope, Searcy and Yell counties to one of the following sites:
- Alpena Community Building, 107 Highway 62 E., Alpena
- Anderson's Propane, 8563 Highway 7 N., Harrison
- Anderson's Store, 12181 Highway 62 E., Harrison
- Carroll County Fairgrounds, 104 County Road 401, Berryville
- Haggarville Grocery, 11925 SR 123, Lamar
- McCormick's One Stop, 7823 Highway 103, Clarksville
- Oark General Store and Café, 10360 County Road 5440, Oark
- New Blaine Fire Dept., 9 Highway 197 Loop, New Blaine
- Combs Store and Café, 10342 Highway 16, Combs
- McIlroy Madison County WMA headquarters, Highway 23
- Marion County
- Pyatt, Crooked Creek Access, Highway 62 W., Pyatt
- Yellville City Park, Highway 14, Yellville
- Arkansas Forestry Commission Office, Route 1, Box 275, Western Grove
- National Park Service Maintenance Shop, HCR 73 Box 176B, Marble Falls
- Ponca Elk Education Center, Highway 43, Ponca
- USFS Office, 18360 Highway 16 W., Deer
- Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department Storage Facility, Sand Gap (1 mile south of Highway 7/16/123 intersection)
- City of London Maintenance Shop, 3731 SR 333, London
- Downtown Mini-Mart, 102 W. Main St. (Highway 64/105 intersection), Atkins
- Fountain's Grocery, 36386 Highway 27, Tilly
- USFS Big Piney Ranger District Office, 12000 SR 27, Hector
- Arkansas Forestry Commission, 1004 Zach Ridge Road, Marshall
- Misty's Conoco, 6542 Highway 65 N., Leslie
- Ouachita Livestock Market, 12115 N. State Highway 7, Danville
- Yell County Wildlife Federation, 10035 Wildlife Lane, Dardanelle
Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.