LITTLE ROCK, AR (KAIT) - With the general election over, each of the state House members who were elected went to Little Rock Thursday to draw for committee assignments as well as seniority in the 100-member House.
Seniority in the House is drawn by lot while committee assignments are set by the lawmaker's interest.
The following committee assignments were made Thursday for lawmakers in Region 8:
- House Education Committee - Rep. Dan Sullivan, R-Jonesboro, Rep. James Sturch, R-Batesville and Rep.-elect Frances "Fran" Cavenaugh, R-Walnut Ridge.
- House Judiciary Committee - Rep. Michelle Gray, R-Melbourne, Rep. Dwight Tosh, R-Jonesboro, Rep. Milton Nicks Jr., D-Marion, Rep. Brandt Smith, R-Jonesboro and Rep.-elect Jimmy Gazaway, R-Paragould.
- House Public Health, Welfare and Labor Committee - Rep. Deborah Ferguson, D-West Memphis and Rep. Jack Ladyman, R-Jonesboro.
- House Public Transportation Committee - Rep.-elect Johnny Rye, R-Trumann and Rep.-elect Steve Hollowell, R-Forrest City.
- House Revenue and Taxation Committee - Rep. Scott Baltz, D-Pocahontas, Rep. Joe Jett, D-Success, Rep. Monte Hodges, D-Blytheville and Rep. Michael John Gray, D-Augusta.
- House Aging, Children and Youth, Legislative and Military Affairs Committee - Hodges, Nicks, Gray, Cavenaugh and Hollowell.
- House Agriculture, Forestry and Economic Development Committee - Baltz and Sullivan.
- House City, County and Local Affairs Committee - Gazaway and Rye.
- House Insurance and Commerce Committee - Jett, Rep. Joe Farrer, R-Austin, Ferguson and Rep. Les Eaves, R-Searcy.
- House State Agencies and Governmental Affairs Committee - Ladyman, Gray, Tosh, Sturch and Smith.
As for seniority, Baltz is the highest ranking Northeast Arkansas officeholder in the state House. He drew number 19, ahead of Jett, who drew 28.
Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.