JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - Before you sit down and eat Thanksgiving dinner, people need to be sure the work in the kitchen does not cause any emergencies, a Jonesboro Fire Department division chief said Wednesday.
Division Chief of Training Eric Simmons said people should be careful while cooking and to watch the stove.
"Keep an eye on your food. A lot of people walk away from it and get to visiting with different family and different things like that and next thing you know, you could have it overheated and start a fire. Keep your pans and everything turned where kids can't get to them and knock them on themselves," Simmons said.
People should also be careful if they are cooking outside, especially with cooking turkeys.
The cooker should not be overfilled with oil and people should not drop a frozen turkey in the fryer, Simmons said.
Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.