Mark Martin Wins Nextel All Star Challenge - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Batesville, AR-- Tiffany Blankenship Reports

Mark Martin Wins Nextel All Star Challenge

May 23, 2005--Posted at 5:30 CDT

BATESVILLE-- It was a big weekend for Batesville native Mark Martin.

Mark took home over a million dollars for winning the Nextel Cup All Star Challenge on Saturday night.

Today, Mark was back in his hometown with a big smile and even bigger wallet.

It was the best of the best and the Batesville native came out on top.

Mark Martin is the All Star champion.

"I'm on cloud nine. I feel like a million bucks. That's what I keep telling everybody. It was just a great win for us," Martin said.

This isn't the first All Star win for Mark Martin.

He took the checkered flag back in 1998.

"Lowe's Motor Speedway is my favorite race track first of all so I always feel good when we go there, and I knew our car was going to be good. I didn't realize it would be as strong as it was, but I knew we were going to have a good run," Martin said.

The big question after the race was, will he defend his All Star title in 2006?

See, Mark's planning to retire from Nextel Cup Racing next year.

"Jack said ... I told them after it was over with, if you'll give me a car, I'll come back for this one so we'll be back for this and we'll be back for the bud shootout and we'll be back for this one," Martin said.

But for now... Mark's going to savor his win ...

"It seemed like everything was meant to be. Every move I made seemed to be the right one. Everything went our way," Martin said.

Because the All Star Challenge isn't a points race, Mark still sits 10th in the the chase for the championship standings.

Batesville drawing kudos on aquatic center

Wednesday, July 26 2017 10:19 PM EDT2017-07-27 02:19:42 GMT
    Wednesday, July 26 2017 10:35 PM EDT2017-07-27 02:35:39 GMT
    A new aquatics center in Batesville has drawn visitors from the region. (Source: KAIT)A new aquatics center in Batesville has drawn visitors from the region. (Source: KAIT)

A new aquatics center in Batesville has drawn a lot of visitors since it opened in June, with the town's mayor saying it has been a busy place.

GR8Job: NEA Baptist honored by March of Dimes

Wednesday, July 26 2017 10:06 PM EDT2017-07-27 02:06:45 GMT
    Wednesday, July 26 2017 10:33 PM EDT2017-07-27 02:33:32 GMT

An area hospital was recognized Wednesday by the March of Dimes for the hospital's work in reducing the number of elective inducements and Cesarian deliveries before 39 weeks of pregnancy.

Body of missing Baxter County man found, sheriff says

Wednesday, July 26 2017 9:37 PM EDT2017-07-27 01:37:33 GMT
    Wednesday, July 26 2017 9:58 PM EDT2017-07-27 01:58:13 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

The body of a 33-year-old man missing since July 17 in Baxter County was found Wednesday night, Sheriff John Montgomery said.