WALNUT RIDGE, AR (KAIT) - A vacancy on the Walnut Ridge City Council will be filled next month through an appointment, Mayor Charles Snapp said Tuesday.
In an email sent Tuesday, Snapp outlined how the vacancy will be filled. The vacancy is due to the death this week of council member Daniel Abbott.
The method to fill the vacancy, according to Snapp, is as follows:
- A quorum must be present at the regular December council meeting, on the 19th.
- A majority of the council must vote for a replacement.
- The replacement must be a registered voter in the new Ward 3, as the replacement will also serve for the full two-year term Abbott had recently been elected for, that starts Jan. 1, 2017. I would recommend those being considered bring proof of registration that would allow them to serve in the position, similar to qualifications to run.
- Arkansas rules and regulations do not call for a special election in the case of an unfulfilled term for an alderman of a city of the first class, with a population under 20,000.
- The alderman will be appointed for the remainder of the December 2016 term, but will serve through December 31, 2018.
- The appointed person will be able to run for the position in the 2018 general election.
Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.