One taken to hospital after Jonesboro apartment fire - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

One taken to hospital after Jonesboro apartment fire

(Source: KAIT) (Source: KAIT)
(Source: KAIT) (Source: KAIT)
JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) -

A man was taken to the hospital after an apartment fire early Friday morning.

The fire started at an apartment complex in the 500-block of W. Nettleton.

According to the Jonesboro Fire Department, one man was at the top of the stairs when firefighters arrived.

He was taken to a Jonesboro hospital for treatment. No word on the extent of his injuries.

Battalion Chief Brett Winstead tells Region 8 News a space heater may have shorted out causing the fire.

Winstead said it's a reminder to be cautious when using space heaters in your home. 

"I know people do what they have to do to stay warm but you've got to be careful not to overload it, not use extension cords, don't use the strips with the circuit breaking in them," Winstead said. "They can still overheat and catch on fire."

Only one apartment was damaged.

Traffic was stalled on W. Nettleton and Flint as crews responded. 

Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Watch Region 8 News On Demand: On your Desktop | On your Mobile device

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android

Powered by Frankly