Department issues warning after business fire - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Department issues warning after business fire

(Source: Searcy Fire Department via Facebook) (Source: Searcy Fire Department via Facebook)
SEARCY, AR (KAIT) -

The Searcy Fire Department issued a warning Friday regarding space heater safety after crews worked a fire early Friday morning.

According to the Searcy Fire Department's Facebook page, a business owner discovered their building filled with smoke around 5:30 a.m.

Firefighters arrived just minutes later and were able to put out the fire.

During their investigation, the department said they determined that an extension cord that was powering a space heater, which had been left on the entire night, overheated. It melted a trash can that was sitting on top of it, causing the fire. 

The department warned residents to not use extension cords as a permanent power source and to never have anything sitting on top of them.

They also warn that with the cold weather here, space heaters should not be left on while unattended and should always be plugged directly into an outlet.

Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Watch Region 8 News On Demand: On your Desktop | On your Mobile device

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android

Powered by Frankly