Family escapes Craighead County fire - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Family escapes Craighead County fire

Scene of fire (Source: Region 8 News viewer) Scene of fire (Source: Region 8 News viewer)
BAY, AR (KAIT) -

A Craighead County family is homeless after a fire destroyed their home.

The fire happened early Monday morning on County Road 691 in Bay.

According to the Bay Fire Department, the original 911 call stated the fire was in the attic. Firefighters believe the fire originated with a wood stove and the chimney.

The home is a total loss.

A family of 5 was home at the time but all 5 people escaped with no injuries.

Firefighters said the weather played a factor in how they fought the fire. With the freezing temperatures and the wind, the water was beginning to freeze as soon as it touched a surface.

Along with the Bay Fire Department, the Lake City Fire Department and the Trumann Fire Department also responded to the fire.

At one time, more than 25 firefighters were on the scene.

Copyright 2016 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Watch Region 8 News On Demand: On your Desktop | On your Mobile device

Region 8 News App - Install or update on your: iPhone | Android

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Nucor to build new steel mill in central Missouri

    Nucor to build new steel mill in central Missouri

    Wednesday, November 22 2017 8:00 AM EST2017-11-22 13:00:04 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    Steel producer Nucor is building a steel mill in the mid-Missouri city of Sedalia.

    Steel producer Nucor is building a steel mill in the mid-Missouri city of Sedalia.

  • Foundation to adopt a family for Christmas

    Foundation to adopt a family for Christmas

    Tuesday, November 21 2017 11:40 PM EST2017-11-22 04:40:57 GMT
    Tuesday, November 21 2017 11:55 PM EST2017-11-22 04:55:13 GMT
    (Source: Keeunna Watson)(Source: Keeunna Watson)

    A foundation in honor of a Jonesboro who died from epilepsy is finding a way to serve another family in need for Christmas.

    A foundation in honor of a Jonesboro who died from epilepsy is finding a way to serve another family in need for Christmas.

  • Family safely makes it out of house fire in Matthews, MO

    Family safely makes it out of house fire in Matthews, MO

    Tuesday, November 21 2017 11:47 PM EST2017-11-22 04:47:04 GMT
    source:  Raycom Mediasource: Raycom Media

    According to an official with the Matthews Volunteer Fire Department, a family was inside the home when the fire started in an upstairs bathroom.

    According to an official with the Matthews Volunteer Fire Department, a family was inside the home when the fire started in an upstairs bathroom.

Powered by Frankly